Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Fall Is Taking Over My Life

The Hubs got the afternoon off unexpectedly and because I was so super excited, we made a trip to the Farmer's Market to pumpkin pick! One for me, one for the Hubs and one for the Pup. Transporting the cornstalk in my Mitsubishi was hilarious, but when I want something, I force it to happen! ;-) Here's our new front porch.


Earlier in the day, I stopped by Organize and Decorate Everything  and saw these stinkin' awesome Halloween poison bottles. I had.to.try. They would go so perfectly in the kitchen/dining area a.k.a zoned spooky area. And the best part about this project...totally free - weee!

I dug into my pile of bottles (which the Hubs says I hoard, but it's just one little shelf in our kitchen, I swear!). I came up with a few good ones and filled them with a little food coloring and water. It took a few tries to get the color right. My first looked similar to a bottle of...well...let's just say the yellow was a little much.


See, I keep the bottles for moments like this (honey!). Back to work! I've got the potions brewed and poison bottled, now I just need some labels. Oops, forget the lids (mostly on purpose). Craft paint to the rescue. Yup, I definitely painted the lids after I filled the bottles. Hey, I'll admit to my laziness. I want things done now, not ten minutes from now!


Okay, back to the labels. Leanne at OaDE suggested searching "Halloween Labels" for plenty of options and boy was she right. Seriously, just Google it. Tons of options. I allowed myself five whole minutes to make a final decision and printed! Any longer and I don't think I would have completed this project today. I pasted  the images into a Word.doc and resized them to fit my bottles.

I wiped the paper with used coffee grounds to create a little aging. Originally, I wanted to dip them in tea, but I thought it through and, yeah, that would take waaaaay too long. This way, the paper was pliable and still dry enough to adhere to the glass. I spritzed the paper with Elmer's Adhesive Spray and slapped it on. Perfect.



My center piece went from this:


To this:





Which do you like better?

Huge shout out to Organize and Decorate Everything for fueling my fire!


<3 dani

LINKIN UP

10 comments:

  1. Love what you did to those bottles!! I have a huge box of bottles too- you never know when you'll need one!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mary Ellen! I hope you don't get teased as much as I do about holding on to your bottles ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your display looks awesome! I might have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! The spookiest ones that I have seen! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there!!! I'm your newest follower from the weekend linky:) I love finding new blogs and yours is lovely:) You can find me at www.bouffeebambini.blogspot.com

    OOOwwww I love this. So scary!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these! They kind of remind me of something that would be in harry potter! :) Thanks for linking up to my party!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We <3 the spooky, Haley. Glad you do too.

    So true Michelle.

    Hanna! You made my night. Thanks for following and I cant wait to checkk out your space soon.

    one suggestion to those who are considering trying this; use mod podge if you have it one hand. I didn't and the adhesive spray worked fine on most, but one is peeling a bit.

    -dani

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your final display, it looks awesome! Well done, clever lady.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I not only love the bottles, but also the display you made with them. I'm including you in my Friday Favorites this week!

    ReplyDelete

Drop me a line, a link or some good old fashioned love.