While redoing our bedroom, I realized that our ugly, old, wine-stained coasters weren't really appropriate for our sophisticated, adult master bedroom. New coasters weren't an option. Have you ever priced those things?! Seriously, they hold condensation, not little drops of gold. The Hubs would say "Don't you respect the wood enough to spare it from water, no matter the cost?!!" Well, he has a point, but I'm doin' it for free.
I started with a couple of old ceramic coasters (I had these on hand, but I see similar ones every visit to Salvation Army), left over book pages from this project, homemade mod podge, sealer, and a brush.
I made the adhesive mod-podge-wannabe by adding a little water to regular Elmer's Glue. That particular bottle was completely usable. The top had irreparably dried up, so I just cut the bottle and poured the glue into a baby food jar, then added the water. Simple.
Then I ripped up the book pages. The main reason I did this was to conceal the content of the book. I'd rather not be tempted to read a poorly written FBI fiction/fantasy book every time I set my glass down.
After I ripped the pages into little pieces, I began gluing them on in no particular order or pattern.
When they dried, I sealed then varnished. I have no idea if I did that in the proper order, but as long as it's waterproof, I'm happy.
And here they are. Much more mature (and functional).