Sunday, April 17, 2011

Almost Two Months...

Without a post. I'm sure you've all been upset at my absence...right?

Not to bore you with all the details, but the past fifty days have been super.

I've been doing little make-overs here and there, but nothing substantial until this past weekend when both The Hubs and I just wanted a relaxing weekend at home.

Our kitchen has a bald spot and I've spent the last three years trying to figure out how to Ron Popeil GLH Spray it.




The problem with putting any furniture here is obvious; you'll interrupt the walking path. But after studying the spot for a while (three years to be exact) I finally figured out how to make this a usable space.

And look, isn't it neat?





You need:

Wood (I used 4'x8" pre-sanded Oak)
Brackets (I needed 3)
Power Screw Driver
Level
Tape Measure
Stud Finder (if you haven't invested the $10 bucks into this, you are doing yourself a disservice)

Begin by measuring and marking how tall you'd like your shelf. Mine sits roughly 38" tall. Then Mark your studs.


I taped my sewing measuring tape to the wall as my straight edge and drilled in my brackets. Then I set the wood on top. After checking for level again, I made sure it was symmetrical and drilled screws into the bottom.

 Instead of staining the wood, I opted for a very natural (and lazy man's way out) oil finish. The same oil I use on my chopping block, I covered this piece of wood with.

Simple as that. Literally took me twenty minutes. I was moving so smoothly that I forgot to take pictures...of course I could chalk that up to being out of blogging practice. Anyway, here's the finished product one more time.


 





If I missed a step or you have a question, contact me.

<3 dani

3 comments:

  1. looks great! welcome "back" to the blogland!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great way to fill that space! Glad I'm not the only one who looks at things for years before figuring out what's just right!! :)

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a great week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Drop me a line, a link or some good old fashioned love.