Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Coat Closet Clean Up

I like to think I'm a rather organized girl, but if I told you that standing in front of our coat closet you'd laugh -- at me, not with me. I realized this when I went for my gloves (yes, gloves. it's getting a little chilly in the midwest) and an avalanche of hats, scarves, purses, etcetera fell to the floor. Oops.

Here's how I made this:


Outta this:


As most of you know, my projects are always on an insanely low budget. And once again, here I am, trying to do an organization project on a budget of...wait for it...zero dollahs! Organizing caddies alone would send a better budget through the roof. But I came up with a free solution that proves (again) to the Hubs that I hold on to 'things' for a reason. What's the solution? you ask...Shoeboxes, of course. What?! Oh yeah.

True, initially they look a mess, but with a little help from some 'Oops Paint' and labels and those bad boys make a space like this:


Look like this:


What the!? Where the!? That's right, just one shelf folks. That heaping pile of hot mess condensed down to one, very organized shelf. Dang, it feels good to be [an organizing] ganster.

First, I threw everything on the floor. The Pup can't resist a pile of fluffy warm goodness.


Then I sorted it into piles and found homes for everything. My purses were taking up a lot of space that I needed on the lower shelf. So I made them a new home. For now, this is temporary. If I decide I love it, I'll get real hooks instead of nails.

I moved what I could of our seasonal items to the basement and purged the stuff we haven't used in over a year.

Not bad for free storage, right?!

So tell me, where does your organization fall a little short?

<3 dani

4 comments:

  1. I . heart . this! I'm always on the lookout for awesome projects using stuff I have on hand already. Closet looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great use of things you already have to organize your closet. It looks fantastic now. Thanks for joining We're Organized Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job organizing! And the price is my favorite part!! I'm just like you - I hold on to "things" because I'll use them later...not sure what I'll do with them at 1st, but later, when it's needed, I'm glad I didn't throw it out!!

    ReplyDelete

Drop me a line, a link or some good old fashioned love.