I made a quick pit stop at Menard's today to pick up a furnace filter and when I turned the corner, I saw this:
Okay, okay. I didn't see that, exactly, but I did see this:
and figured I could definitely turn a couple dollars of duct work into a kitchen utensil holder.
It's open on both ends and kinda sharp, so a little modification was in order.
I made a bottom by tracing a circle onto cardboard, cutting it out and gluing it on.
Clearly, keeping a clean edge wasn't important to me, but I can totally rationalize that. One, I didn't want the sharp edge to poke through and B) it's clear glue...
To be sure the bottom wasn't going to bust out the first time I mashed a spoon in there, I dribbled some glue on the inside too. Even prettier.
This is when I thought I was done. I took it upstairs and put my utensils in it...it was too tall. I couldn't see anything in it. So lame. Back downstairs I went.
I grabbed a pair of needle nose pliers and went to town, bending and curling. I was sure to turn in the sharp corners.
p.s. - my fantastically creative ceramics BFA college roomie made all of the beautiful pottery you see in our house, including this piece.
I'm going to keep searching, but for the time being, this industrial looking piece might work.